Quote of the day/week/however long


"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does."
~William James

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Let It Be Me

Many of us worry desperately about - and might admire enormously - those truly courageous souls who dare participate in the wave of protests and demonstrations now occurring and spreading in the world.  Where will this wave go now?  Maybe not China, maybe not North Korea, but not long ago we might have poo-pooed the idea of Libya, so we don't know.



As we read about our colleagues - only peripherally in the ordinary news, which at most might mention a ship or a flight 'arranged by the US embassy' - it is only human for a true consular officer to feel a tiny tug of envy.

Because in every such officer's heart is a wee little voice that whispers, "Me.  Involve me.  If it's going to happen, please let it happen while I'm here and while I can try my best to pass the ultimate consular test - to think fast and creatively and without hesitation to help and protect my employees and my American customers.

"Test me.  I can do it.  I'll think of everything, I'll think a step ahead of danger.  Let it be me standing on the tarmac, on the quay, on the train platform, on the side of the highway, waving goodbye to the last of those who trust and depend on me, as they race away to safety by means that I arranged.  Let it be me who will be able to say - "


" - Goodbye, hon.  Be careful out there."

3 comments:

Consul-At-Arms said...

I've been feeling that familiar itch for weeks now. The one that says "Put me in, coach."

I've quoted you and linked to you here: http://consul-at-arms2.blogspot.com/2011/02/re-let-it-be-me.html

Anonymous said...

It's cool, until it's your own post...

Anonymous said...

I'd like to tip my hat to those Consular Officers and others who volunteered to work overtime on not-so-sexy task forces in Washington, answering a deluge of emails and providing information as events in the Middle East unfolded. They took time out of their lives and away from their families to take care of that unglamorous work. I'm sure they're doing it again for Japan. Thanks guys!